Re: [OM] Image resolution

Subject: Re: [OM] Image resolution
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2016 12:45:58 -0700
On 5/20/2016 6:55 AM, Bob Whitmire wrote:
If you use Lightroom, there's a devastatingly effective graduated ND filter
available that, with a little bit of practice, can transform the way you
work. It's much more usable than it first appears when opening it. For
example, I have had occasion on a number of shots from top to bottom, then
overlaid from bottom to top. You also can go side to side, or at angles.
Takes a bit of getting used to,

There is a similar capability in PS, the Gradient Tool. Applied as a mask, it provides smooth gradients between a layer and the one below. It is quite general purpose, as it can smoothly merge any sort of layers - brightness, color, color balance, sharpening, even ghosting of different images in to each other.

I imagine it to be more flexible than the LR ND tool, as it is applied as a mask, so the resultant mask may then be further adjusted, as may the opacity of the layer, and thus overall strength of the effect.

I use it fairly often for various purposes, including balancing exposure across an image, including, but not at all limited to, what a GND filter would do. (I believe I used it in multiple ways on the Pemaquid lighthouse image of yours where I corrected an uneven sky from a pol filter?)

When applied to a brighter or darker layer, whether from a different exposure or an adjusted layer from the image being worked on, it becomes a GND filter.

Virtually Filtered Moose