Re: [OM] E-M1 vs E-M5II

Subject: Re: [OM] E-M1 vs E-M5II
From: Siddiq Siddiqui-Ali <muhammad.siddiqui-ali@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2016 15:59:20 +0000
> On May 11, 2016, at 1:21 PM, Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> There are only two vehicles I've ever driven that NEEDED an adequate
> warm-up time before horsing on it - The RX7 and the 308GTS. You could
> just feel the resistance in the fluids and the "no don't wake me up so
> fast" screams from the internals. Both cars wanted to be treated very
> gently for 20 minutes. Once warmed up and ready to rumble? Let er rip.
> It's near impossible to shift gears in a Ferrari before the fluids are
> warm. It's a well-known trait of Ferraris that if you let everything
> warm up properly and you match revs correctly, they'll last with
> minimal pain. But if you don't warm them up and you are a gear-jammer
> and hard on the clutch, you'll go 5000 miles between rebuilds and
> clutches. If you do things right, the gear shift will slide in like
> butter. If you don't it'll kick back like a mule.

I wonder if that’s a trait of any hi-perf (used lightly here) manual trans. My
E36 325 didn’t like to go into gears when it was cold. Mornings in winter I’d
have to be very deliberate with gear changes till it warmed up, then it was
fine. Granted I think the trans was filled with Redline MTL (since I got the
car with well over 150k miles on the clock and no service records, so went with
full fluids changed).

Similar story in my next car, the first one I actually bought (granted, used,
again), an E46 330i ZHP. Now that thing was a hoot, but the limits were much
higher so in some ways, the E36 was more fun to drive. Slow car fast, and all
that.

Siddiq