Re: [OM] IMG: A Lesson That Should Have Been Obvious

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: A Lesson That Should Have Been Obvious
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2016 19:36:28 -0700
On 5/10/2016 10:28 AM, Jim Nichols wrote:
Autofocus can be a blessing when shooting sports, but not if one is shooting through the fence. This friendly umpire chatted with my family members several times between innings, and I attempted to snap a photo. But, as I should have expected, the focus is on the fence wire. And I am not proficient enough at shooting MF with an AF lens to attempt a changeover on the fly.

http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/DSCF3448fm.tif.html
Fuji X-E1 with Fuji 27mm Pancake lens

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

I just actually looked at the image. This is one where I would have had AF focus on something, a further away part of the fence, probably, tapped the MF button, and shot away. In this sort of situation, that's how I get focus when the AF is never going to work and MF is too fiddly and time consuming for moment and subject. It's then still possible to adjust focus wit the ring, but often there isn't time. I say shoot first, then look for the "better" shot, if it's still there.

One may also focus on something else at (about) the correct distance with a half press, re-frame, and complete the press. Even quicker, but, in my hands somehow less reliable than the one before. Also, usually (depends on menu settings on Olys), that locks the exposure, which isn't always right.

Calling the Game Moose