[OM] +0.5 close-up lens + coupled lenses: was: C-U Lens follies

Subject: [OM] +0.5 close-up lens + coupled lenses: was: C-U Lens follies
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 May 2016 08:16:53 -0400
I found 5 of them on ebay by searching for "f=2m". They're all Hasselblad bayonet mount of either 50 or 57mm. I think some Hasselblad lenses have 60mm bayonet mounts but I didn't find any of those.

Some are very expensive but I found this B50 at a starting bid of USD 16
<http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hasselblad-Bayonet-50-Carl-Zeiss-Proxar-f-2m-Close-up-Lens-Made-in-Germany-/301946932085?hash=item464d708b75:g:1f0AAOSw1DtXHYd9>
and this B57 in the UK at a Buy it Now of GBP 15 + GBP 12.96 shipping.
<http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hasselblad-B57-Carl-Zeiss-Proxar-f-2m-Close-up-Lens-Keeper-/282030760087?hash=item41aa57e097:g:AKMAAOSwHnFVy2Lc>

There are readily available adapters to adapt threaded filters to Hassy bayonet but I didn't find anything going the other direction. You could probably glue it into a threaded step-up adapter. If the OD of a Hassy B57 is actually 57mm it would be a nice fit into a xxmm->58mm step-up ring... or step into your shop and machine something nicer.

And in the realm of achromatic close-up lenses don't forget about using reversed lenses. A reversed 200mm lens makes a highly corrected +5 close-up lens. You attach the lenses together with what's called a macro-coupling ring that has male filter threads on both sides. They're readily available on ebay with most well under $10 including shipping. <http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=macro+coupling+adapter+ring&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=29576&_sargn=-1%26saslc%3D1&_salic=1&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50>

John Shaw discusses using coupled lenses in his book "Closeups in Nature". He uses his 200mm prime coupled with either a 105mm short-mount Nikon(?) lens or a 105mm enlarging lens. The 105mm lenses thus become highly corrected 9.5X close-up lenses. A 50mm makes a +20.

Chuck Norcutt