Re: [OM] GPS info required

Subject: Re: [OM] GPS info required
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2016 22:44:26 -0700
On 4/27/2016 9:07 AM, Mike Lazzari wrote:
. . .

Here is a test we did to see if an iphone could be used to accurately map our trails. Can you see where the tree cover is? (maybe previously posted)

<http://www.interisland.net/watershed/mike/iphonetrack.jpg>

Red track is my Garmin. These tracks were compared with the corrected Trimble which the NPS GIS guy used. Garmin was close enough, iphone fail.

You did post it before, and it was a factor in my buying a Garmin Foretrex 401. It appears to have all the technical capability of the large ones in a small package. I don't need the screen and maps of a full size unit, as my iPhone has all that, and has worked well for me.

I had the opportunity Sunday to use it in an old growth redwood grove where I've used phone and perhaps iGotU before. It resulting track is WAY better than that from the simpler devices. Without a documented trail map, I can't say how close to exactly right, but it tracks with my sense of the trail and there are none of the wild excursions from where it could possibly have been that I've encountered in this and similarly heavily forested areas.

When first turned on, it doesn't seem to figure out where it is much, if any, faster than the iGotU and much slower than the 'phone, which has been keeping track of where it is all along. But with the use of rechargeable AAA batteries, it seems to go all day, and doesn't require recharging itself, so I can just start it, put in a shirt or pants pocket and forget about it.

I like, so thanks for the info. :-)

Oriented Moose