Re: [OM] OT: Win7 Problem

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Win7 Problem
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2016 07:46:33 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     Well taken, however I've already done a rootkit scan with AVAST.  That
malware is the saving grace here.  When I was cleaning up that $15 Compaq
laptop I found that AVAST would not run in safe mode, but instead has a start
time scan that performs the same scan that I would do in safe mode.  Using that
approach with the Win7 OS cleaned up some problems which gave me the
administrator functions that were previously unavailable.  Now I have control
over the power settings plus a battery charge indicator in the tray.

     It seems that the problem was a virus contained in a program called
GOFORFILES, which was quarantined by AVAST.  I had to manually remove the
registry remnants of that program using REGEDIT.

     Now that I know I can do startup virus scans without going into safe mode,
the need for that is greatly diminished.  And I rarely use Win7 for anything
except viewing an occasional webpage.  But, I would like to have that OS fully
functional, even though I care very little for it.

>I missed some important points that I would do first:
>Download, install and run Malwarebytes anti-malware (free version)
><https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/>
>Before running it check the settings and turn on "anti-rootkit" which is
>not on by default.
>
>After that scan, download and install Malwarebytes anti-exploit for
>browser protection.  Choose the trial version here
><https://www.malwarebytes.org/antiexploit/>  In 30 days you'll get a
>chance to convert to the free version if you don't buy.
>
>Chuck Norcutt

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson