Re: [OM] Autumn crocus time again

Subject: Re: [OM] Autumn crocus time again
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2016 20:37:40 -0700
On 3/16/2016 5:10 PM, bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
We are just near the end of a great flowering season for autumn
crocuses.

Here are four photos; two of general views. two solo
studies.

What do you think?

I like the first, but would crop it, either to a tight 3:4 right around the flowers, or square, losing most to the right. I can't see where the background adds anything.

The second is either too blurry or not blurry enough for my eyes. Looks like
the focal plane may be misplaced?

I don't understand the exposures of the last two, which are both seriously underexposed. The highest tonal value in the first is only 3/4 of the way up the histogram.

One of the things I like about these crocuses is the way they seem to glow a little, even in the shade. These images of them seem to me lifeless.

Simply pulling the histogram up, to fill the top 1/4 and bring up the midtones, does wonders, to my eye. And a light touch of Curves, to increase midtone contrast just a little, finishes it as an image I can very much like. <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/BSwale/Autumn_Crocus3.htm>

More Fully Exposed Moose