Re: [OM] Autumn crocus time again

Subject: Re: [OM] Autumn crocus time again
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2016 15:56:42 -0700
On 3/21/2016 2:53 AM, bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Thanks for all the comment and advice.

The first two shots were
not intended to be paragons of photographic virtue; I merely wanted to
provide locale shots.

And yet, with judicious cropping, pretty darn good.

I use FastStone image viewer for my image editing.

Which is sort of like saying "I use my family sedan for Formula One racing."

The histograms it provides are hugely different from what Moose showed.

The label says "Histogram of flower", and that's what it is, more precisely, of flower and stem, not "Histogram of whole image". So much of the image is deep shadow that an overall histogram in very uninformative. No, you can't do that in FS.

I've left curves alone - that tool seems too unpredictable for my liking.

I don't like FS as an editor. Some of the tools are, um, un-subtle, important tools are missing or severely limited, and editing in eight bit is just asking for trouble. Too many or too great adjustment(s) and the separation and piling up of tonal values starts to make things look wrong.

But it's not THAT bad, not so that Curves doesn't work. I've done the same things in FS. The Levels result is visually identical. The Curves tool works fine, too, at least if one doesn't go too far. I've included a screen shot of what I did in Curves. <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/BSwale/Autumn_Crocus3.htm>

If Curves isn't working for you, either you misunderstand how to use it or you are making adjustments too large to look right in an eight bit editor.

Editorial Moose