[OM] Lightweight roof construction, was: Solar Roofs - of course to powe

Subject: [OM] Lightweight roof construction, was: Solar Roofs - of course to power Olympus cameras - duh
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2016 08:00:02 -0500
I'm quite sure that's a correct statement. However, it is also possible to have very light truss construction with great strength. It's done with what's called the Simpson Strong Tie system. This page shows just the truss to top plate connector <https://www.strongtie.com/products/lateral-systems/strong-rod-systems/urs/components/truss-to-top-plate-restraint> There are many other kinds of connectors in the system which, when used all together, tie the roof to the walls and the walls to the foundation or floor slab. In a hurricane it's imperative to keep the roof from lifting off or the entire structure will be destroyed.

My (newly built) South Carolina house uses Simpson Strong Ties throughout. It has 2x4 construction in the trusses and 2x4 and 2x6 construction in the walls. It also has massive steel connectors between the 2x6s and large diameter bolts embedded in the floor slab. This is all supposed to hold the house together through a category 3 hurricane. The house has asphalt tile.

My Florida house used the same type of 2x4 construction methods in the roof trusses but was tied to the floor slab with bolts and rebar into concrete pillars spaced every 8 feet around the periphery. That house had concrete roof tiles (about 1" thick) and survived about an hour of 120 mph winds during hurricane Andrew in 1992. <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Andrew> I also had the doors and windows protected with hurricane panels. The house sustained no damage at all except the loss of some screening in the swimming pool enclosure. But it did take a long time to clean all the dirt and debris out of the pool.

Simpson Strong Ties are also used in earthquake prone areas. Their major labs are in Stockton and Pleasanton, California. South Carolina is also an earthquake prone area. The Charleston earthquake of 1886 was the largest earthquake ever to hit the east coast (Mag. 7.3).

Chuck Norcutt