Re: [OM] Color... At last!

Subject: Re: [OM] Color... At last!
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2016 19:35:53 -0800
Great post--nice summary Moose!

Thank you sir!

<<<Holding the A-Macro and P02 side by side as magnifiers, the P02 is clearly
stronger. I'd guess at least +3.

The MCON-P02 is a nice piece of design. Good, solid front and rear push-on caps. The 46->37 adapter ring is strongly knurled in the rear. The cap fits on that. So one twists to take off the adapter, which stays with then stays with the cap. OR, pull the cap off to leave the adapter on for smaller lenses. THEN, the rear cap, with or without adapter, fits into the front cap to make one simple thing to go in pocket or whatever.

I recall John Shaw only uses 500D--he had some mag covers, book cover images as
well as other published images using it  so plenty of quality is possible with
good technique.

Sticking with a +2 achromat is pretty safe.

Stopping down a fair amount is typically necessary to avoid aberrations----I
recall the bokeh is generally  quite good in very many combinations.  Not sure
why that might be.

I see JS has a relatively recent book---John Shaw's Guide to Digital Nature
Photography.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0770434983/ref=rdr_ext_tmb

Seems nicely updated but from a quick look of sample pages though think I like
his first book's  full explanation of the basics.

Yup. I briefly flipped though one. Other than specific equipment, I didn't see anything really new. Looks like a great book for anyone newly embarking on this kind of photography with a digital camera.

C. U. Moose