Re: [OM] IMG: Turncoats

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Turncoats
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2016 10:58:15 -0800
I've been hoping this thread would die, so that I could ignore the way the
subject word annoys the pedant in me.

But no ...

A 'Turncoat' is someone who switches allegiances, turning against what they supported/believed in before, not someone who has stayed with the same allegiance all their life, whether it is one I like or one I abhor.

We tend, of course, to laud someone who has left their misguided ways and come to the same true light of knowledge and behavior we enjoy - and wouldn't call them turncoat. In the other direction, the sense of betrayal leads us to turn to such negative epithets.

How are we to know that these people aren't part of long lines of [insert you own epithets here] who have never wavered from their displeasure at being defeated by the Union all those years ago and their wish to reverse things?

They might or might not be turncoats, but one can't tell from the images, nor is Tina, based on the evidence at hand, aware whether they are or not.

Word Loving Moose