Re: [OM] OT: Coffee Shop Hackers

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Coffee Shop Hackers
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2016 11:15:48 -0600
Yup. Coffee Shops are a prime target for hackers. Many of them do not
have client isolation enabled on the WiFi networks, so it becomes like
an unsecured home network. I can ping and poke at anybody else on the
network.

I use a program called WireShark to keep an eye on the traffic
patterns and hacking attempts on my interface. I also run it at home
to keep an eye on hacker attempts there too. Since mid-December, I've
seen another whole set of attempts that are exploiting weaknesses in
the ISP provided DSL Modem/Hotspot. But, for my home shared network,
I've got that behind another, additional firewall and hidden network.

I've got all sorts of "tools" that let me see other devices on a
network and watch the traffic. Scary stuff, that.

White Hat Schnozz