Re: [OM] OT: Coffee Shop Hackers

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Coffee Shop Hackers
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2016 10:05:37 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>     I have a number of instances at the coffee shop where I'm certain
>that someone is trying to bust into my laptop, and this morning was
>exceptional.  It got to the point where I couldn't do anything either
>online or offline.  The wifi indicator showed constant activity but
>the task manager showed just the usual SERVICE activity.  Then I
>noticed that MSIEXEC.EXE was being used fairly often, so I
>disconnected and waited for a while, taking the opportunity to unplug
>the external hard drive and put it in my pocket.  Then I reconnected,
>updated the spyware and virus protection, and then left for the bike shop.

     <<SNIP>>

     Aha!  It turns out that this situation is nothing new:

http://deletemalware.blogspot.com/2011/06/remove-msiexecexe-trojan-uninstall.html

     I did do a file search on this and found four instances.  When the
antivirus is finished I'll remove all except the legitimate one.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson