Re: [OM] Micro XC cards

Subject: Re: [OM] Micro XC cards
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2015 20:13:12 -0700
On 9/9/2015 1:41 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
Well, obviously your cameras and download tools support them. In any case, I think I'd prefer to have my stuff spread over more cards in the event one should fail.

This is not the case with my backup process. Download to notebook computer each night. Syncback to portable HDD, which is kept in separate luggage. Put in new card when one is full. Only recycle cards when all are full, then oldest first.

When home, copy all to desktop, then run back-up to HDD kept in separate, fire resistant box far from computer. Don't erase from cards, portable computer or HDD until space is needed.

One could argue that smaller cards are better or worse for this strategy, depending on assumptions, but the redundancy is so great that it doesn't matter.

I did have something happen a couple of days ago that's not happened to me before. I had bought two new FujiFilm 32GB cards on sale at B&H. The first was working fine in one camera. I ran out of space on the card in the other camera I was using then, and popped the second Fuji card in. I thought I had done something wrong, the camera card slot was failing ... Write times were suddenly measured closer to minutes than seconds. After a few shots, I put another card in, and all was well.

I can't imagine it's a clone, as it came from a major dealer in identical packaging as one that works fine. I see we were only a couple of blocks from B&H today, but I wouldn't have wanted to try an in person return anyway. As it was, we got the last couple of seats on a train heading out to Brooklyn at the start of rush hour.

Multiple Copies Moose