Re: [OM] Zeiss Milvus

Subject: Re: [OM] Zeiss Milvus
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2015 19:18:37 -0700
Can't say I understand Zeiss reasoning very much ever.

You expect their reasoning to be rooted in maximum photographic usability/function. It seems to me likely that they have slowly, perhaps reluctantly, moved in a direction more closely related to Leica.

They have not (as yet?) gone as far down that road as Leica.

"Edition Moncler"

   Taking cutting-edge digital design and merging it with art, Leica has teamed
up with Italian fashion label Moncler
   to produce a truly stunning version of the Leica X (Typ 133) that embraces
the design firm's French heritage and
   melds perfectly with Leica's precise German engineering. The brilliant
design and imaging capabilities make this
   special edition a perfect partner for the fashion-conscious and photography
minded. Only 1,500 of these cameras have
   been produced, each with a matching case and padded white pouch that emulate
the look of Moncler's world-famous down
   jackets. And, the included leather carrying strap bears a "Leica & Moncler"
inscription"

<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1176743-REG/leica_18423_x_edition_moncler_camera.html?utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=Newsletter&utm_source=Newsletter%20150909&utm_content=Retail&utm_term=X-Typ-113-Edition-Moncler>

Looks like they re did most of the ZE/ZF line and have HUGE heavy lenses --the
50 and 85
look like Otus "light" with very close performance but at Otus weight.  Perhaps
for those that want the 5Ds, D800 route where weight doesn't matter much?

"Mine is bigger than yours!" 'Nuf said?

But how do you focus wide open well with usual focusing screens?

Dunno. Does it matter to you, who won't buy one? Does it matter to those who
will?

The 85/1.4 is 45oz in EF mount. That's more than double what the  Rokinon
85/1.4 weighs. The Milvus should be better optically but not sure that the
optical improvement will be worth the 2.4x increase in weight and 6.7x increase
in price.

As with Leica, there should to be a measurable improvement in quality, of some sort of other for the premium products, but that probably is not the real point.

I know you would like Zeiss to be the savior, but their intent is profit and survival, and their plan to achieve that doesn't include what you are looking for.

Pin Prick Moose

It actually weighs more than the Otus.

  I think the Batis/Loxia line may be actually made by Fuji.

http://www.zeiss.com/content/dam/Photography/new/pdf/brochures/milvus/milvus_leaflet_en.pdf

Confused Mike