Re: [OM] (OT) RX100vi pics (Warning! Cute!)

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) RX100vi pics (Warning! Cute!)
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2015 17:10:13 -0700
On 8/31/2015 2:35 PM, John Hudson wrote:
Why not carry a pocket size GPS device ....... like my Garmin GPSMap 64s

'Cause I don't have one? 'Cause it costs $300+ and I don't need it for anything else? 'Cause it's one more thing to carry, when the phone I carry anyway does what I need?

and every time you snap the shutter click the GPS and record another way point location accurate to the fifth decimal place of lat and long.

Might you be confusing accuracy with resolution? GPX Master on my iPhone records to six decimal places, but no two readings a second or two apart are exactly the same to that level. It may string out as many decimals as it wishes, but I don't believe any civilian device is that accurate.

Be that as it may, there are other reasons not to worry about super accuracy. First, it records where the photographer is standing, not the location of the subject. For Moose, those are not uncommonly far apart. Second, for me, none of them are really accurate in deep forest, where I am often taking pics.

Although I was pretty amazed at how consistent a recent track in an old growth redwood grove was with the shape of the trail we walked. I have no way to tell how accurate, but it was the right shape and started and ended in the right place on the map. :-) Other times in that park, I've got image locations often along the trail, but also often far from it.

The iPhone is plenty accurate for my needs.

Where's Moose