Re: [OM] More Old Aeroplanes.

Subject: Re: [OM] More Old Aeroplanes.
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2015 15:45:54 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>Yes, people like its design, but I never heard of one doing barrel rolls.  If
>I were king
>I’d definitely ban that; it’s one of the riskiest manoeuvres available to low
>level
>aerobatics pilots.  I know many people who have died, or very nearly died,
>carrying out
>that manoeuvre.

     Back in the early pages of Herky-lore there is a true story about a pair
of Navy pilots who performed a barrel roll with a C-130B, which tore off the
external fuel tanks (same as on the C-130A).  The result of that was that
Lockheed installed pressure reducers on the aileron actuators, reducing the
available pressure from the full 3200PSI to 1400PSI.

     They were lucky they didn't tear off the outboard engines.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson