>It all worked fine and quickly for me. I examined the source code on
>the page and it looks like pretty normal HTML and Java script to me.
The problem here was more perverse than I initially realised. I later got
a popup error message telling me that a dll file in C:/Google/..... was not
able to terminate and would I like to do so manually.
Seems that somehow, without my knowledge or whatever, both Google Chrome
and the Google Toolbar were being downloaded into my laptop by way of a
Googleupdate3.dll file in the system folder. I'm overly cautious about
anything having to do with Google, not even using the Google search engine.
But there it was, downloading it in the background. I disable the wireless
adapter, deleted the dll file, and then deleted anything that had to do with
Google. I then updated the malware and antivirus utilities and returned home.
After I got home, I first ran the antivirus, and nothing was found. But
when I ran the malware utility, it came up with a malicious program called
PriceGong, which I have never heard of. I looked at the folder for that before
sending it all to quarantine and found that it had been installed within the
past month, and until today I had never heard of it. I took care of that and
then headed off to the bike shop to clean a bunch of parts.
When I returned home and started up the laptop, it went right into the
checkdisk and scandisk routines, which took forever. All in all, I lost use of
my laptop for almost five hours today, all thanks to an unwelcome intrusion by
Google. I have a feeling that the PriceGong package may have been a piggyback
from eBay or one of their photo vendors.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro
- Hunter S. Thompson
Themed Olympus Photo Exhibition: http://www.tope.nl/