Re: [OM] Well, Happy Thursday to Me.

Subject: Re: [OM] Well, Happy Thursday to Me.
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2015 14:34:58 -0500
On 6/19/15 14:04 : , SwissPace wrote:
Chris,

Sorry to hear about your predicament Paul, having survived under the control of an investment company for 5 years our company has now been just been bought by a large canadian enterprise - a real business, things surely must get better for us and hopefully for you, My grandmother used to say "things always work out for the best" and at times its not easy to see but the phrase has always come true for me.

The problem is not only with short term investment it is also with large rewards for top fliers who collect and leave before the consequences of their changes have been realised, seen it many times and it pees me off every time.

IanW

Thanks, Ian. Thing that really irritates me is that this was the best job I've had. I had finally found a place where, at least until recently, my input was valued, the users I supported adored me, and I felt like I was really making a difference.

And then the new bosses supplied by corporate, ones who don't have a clue about our history or our culture, come in with orders to strip everything out, customer service be damned. "Take on new responsibilities!" the boss says. "Build your value!" the boss says. "Show them that you are capable of more than just the one thing in your title!" the boss says. Annual review I got on Tuesday was glowing.

"We have decided to make changes and restructure the entire organization, and your position has been eliminated. See ya" the boss then says on Thursday.

The ones I feel bad for are my partner, who now will get a bunch of stuff that she has no experience with dumped on her. And the two departments where I was their only IS support and the only one who knew the intricacies of their systems and software, are now left with no support. if Cardiology has a machine go down, they'll have to call the vendor and wait two days for a field engineer to come out. They are good people. They deserve better.

Everything really started to go wrong years back. We had originally been a county-owned public hospital. Then, in order to get the capital necessary to expand and build a new facility, they made a deal to sell to a private corporation from out of state. The culture clash was immediate. And from that point on, everything was based on bean counting instead of doing what was right. They've never been comfortable with a fully-functional, capable local IT staff since most of their facilities are smaller and are managed from HQ. They never, even to this day, understood how big we actually are, how many different facilities are, and the fact that while they complain about the number of helpdesk calls they get from us (after they took away the local helpdesk), they refused to accept that we had very capable support locally and could handle everything on our own without even bothering them.

But enough ranting. I'm taking a few days to work around the house, spend time on the radio, and then file for unemployment on Monday.

I'm scared, because the market is very dry. Former co-worker's son was in IT when he got laid off, and he had good skills, and it took him almost 3 years to find something. I cannot wait that long without having to make drastic lifestyle changes, like living in a tent.