Re: [OM] [OT] Good News

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Good News
From: "C.H.Ling" <ch_photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 May 2015 17:00:42 +0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Moose" <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>

On 5/4/2015 7:17 PM, Willie Wonka via olympus wrote:
Kodak PMC 6059

We are on the web, Boris. :-) Drop the above into a web search and you
will find out all about it.

Yeah, it looks like Kodak Portra 160. I have tried the newer 160NC, the
negative has very narrow d-range, the straight scan is a little flat with
scanner. With digital camera, the quality could suffer due to the narrow
range (less bit to work with).

I believe CH is right, that good 'scans' are easier for MF with a scanner
than a camera.

Ed is right, too, that a dedicated film scanner is probably always better
than a flatbed. I've done careful tests of my 4000 ppi FS4000 film scanner
vs. the 4800 ppi 9950F, and the supposedly lower resolution film scanner
resolves more detail.

BUT - They are pretty expensive, and, the Nikons have the internal flare
problem that CH has illustrated and AG and others experienced and
reported. AND, it's likely that film shot in a TLR by a wedding
photographer in the late 90s simply doesn't have the level of detail
resolution that a film scanner might do better on than a flatbed.

I believe TLR will do better than my Bronica, I rare got neddle-sharp image
from it, could be due to mirror vibration and poor focusing technique.
Hence for me, 2000dpi is good enough.

Now that I know the film is color neg, I'll mention the other BIG
advantage of a scanner over camera, IR dust cleaning (which doesn't work
with silver B&W film). Now CH said that spotting his camera 'scanned' 35
mm film was not big deal. It drives me crazy.

Camera scanned image has less dust issue when compared with my 4870 and it is much better than the Nikon. I'm more concern on the color/tone rendering, real scanner do better on this regard.

C.H.Ling