Re: [OM] [OT] Good News

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Good News
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 03 May 2015 14:57:22 -0700
On 5/3/2015 10:06 AM, Willie Wonka via olympus wrote:
Christa and I were married on June 11th 1995 ...
Our photographer was an older gentleman with a TLR. To our annoyance he was
very good at what he did. Both of us are camera shy, but he knew what everyone
would want to take away from this wedding and pushed his way through to deliver.

Sounds like the guy who photographed my first wedding, in 1968. Chunky older guy with RolleiFlex and 'potato masher' flash. A total pro, he delivered all the expected shots.

My wife just got back from visiting her mother, the first time around since the
passing away of my father-in-law on the day after Christmas. She brought the
most special gift ever: Our wedding negatives.

How wonderful for you guys!

I rather imagine that's not going to happen here, and just as well, as she and I divorced, quite amicably, in the early 70s; still friendly. I do have the album around somewhere, and I suppose our son will inherit it. Hmmm, maybe our granddaughters will like it. Neither of us are much interested.

The photographer was not only alive, but he also remembered our wedding.
I am working on a setup for scanning the negatives. My co-worker, the one that
sits next to me, who also is one of the biggest Olympus fans, let me borrow his
light table. The plan is to scan (aka utilize the 24mp of the A65), then use
Gimp to make it positive. That would work, right? Or there is a better way.

That's about 1700 ppi resolution on a full 6x6 negative. Based on my relatively limited experience scanning MF film, I expect that's more than enough to get all the detail on the neg - if other parts of the equipment and set-up deliver that kind of resolution to the sensor.

The tricks may be holding the film flat and using the right lens. The kit lens won't focus close enough, won't be very sharp at closest focus and will have enough field curvature close up that getting center and edge in focus will be tough.

Just laying a piece of glass on top of the neg on the light table will hold it flat, but probably result in Newton's rings. Pieces of tape on the glass to space it may work, depending on how the film is bent. Film holders for MF film are a problem even with some dedicated film scanners. A film holder from an old enlarger might do the trick, if one is available.

And you need a macro lens, begged, borrowed, adapted, etc. Any 35 mm macro lens from the film era should do the trick, with an adapter. I'm not sure there are adapters to that Sony mount that focus to infinity, but infinity isn't needed for this.

There is a better way, but it requires a film scanner of some sort. I use the discontinued Canon 9950F and I believe Epson still makes flatbeds with a light in the cover large enough for MF film.

As to software, are the negs B&W or color? You should be able to get decent reversal results out of GIMP for B&W. Color is much trickier, as the orangy mask has to be dealt with, and is different for almost every film. VueScan is relatively inexpensive and makes this much easier.

You could, of course, choose just a frame or three and have a pro/lab do them.

I am excited. I can also see couple of the pictures on our walls.

Good luck!

Re Scan Moose