Re: [OM] OT: Fast Passenger Trains

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Fast Passenger Trains
From: Ralf Loi <ralf_loi@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 18:41:32 +0200
> No need, when we have 500mph airplanes.
What's the average speed to the destination Ag?
> ...too long a drive, too short a time in the air what with airport time
in and out...
this.

+1

I used several times the HST from Milan to either Bologna and Rome for
business trips. It was faster than car in the first case (220-230 Km), as
it took less than 2 hours from home to destination compared to more than
2.30 hours by car (if nothing happens, cost less (ticket compared to gas +
motorway), and in the 1 hour train ride I can do actual work (or read)
instead of simply drive. For Rome (something less than 600 Km), the train
is 3 hours, at first it seems longer the 1 hour air travel, but
considering all the time wasted in the airport, and going from airport to
city centre, at the end the time needed is the same. As a plus for the
train there is more room, and again the fact that the trip is fully
useable for doing something (hint: do you have wireless in the air?). If I
ever need to go to Florence, going by HST is no brainer.
I think that a HST service from Washington to Boston would make sense, and
probably not only for business trips. If this has been possible in Italy
(the population density around Milan and in general in the north is higher
than in the US), I fail to see why it can't be done in the US.

Ralf