Re: [OM] Our own little gator

Subject: Re: [OM] Our own little gator
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2015 19:23:10 -0400
I had heard the Mojave rattlesnakes have especially potent venom so decided to look it up. I was surprised to discover that there are two different populations of Mohave rattlesnakes with distinctly different venoms. Those with type B venom are located in south central Arizona (your neck of the woods?). Those with type A venom are those located elsewhere in Arizona as well as California, Nevada and Mexico.

The Type B venom is a primarily a hemotoxin like other rattlesnakes and considered less toxic than the type A venom. The type A venom is primarily a neurotoxin like that produced by a coral snake or cobra. It takes a special cocktail of anti-venoms to counteract the Mohave type A venom. <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crotalus_scutulatus#Venom>

But I would prefer not to be bitten by either. Talking about rattlesnakes and bites reminds me of something I read by Archie Carr <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archie_Carr> about the probability of envenomation in a snake bite. Discounting rattlesnakes, the probability of actually being envenomated during a bite by a typical venomous snake is only about 50%. The rationale given for this is that venom is a precious resource to the snake which it gives up reluctantly. It takes quite some time to replace the venom during which the snake will not be able to catch and eat its prey.

But rattlesnakes are a different matter. If a rattlesnake bites you your probablility of getting envenomated is more like 70%. Archie's theory why this was so was the rattler's rattle. Stated from the snake's point of view: I saw you coming, I rattled to warn you away, you ignored it and kept coming anyway. So I bit you good and hard and squeezed a bunch of venom in you so you don't come back and hurt me. It always sounded pretty reasonable to me.

Chuck Norcutt