Re: [OM] Our own little gator

Subject: Re: [OM] Our own little gator
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2015 13:39:10 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>  You are absolutely correct, Chuck. They are indeed a more placid snake
>than the Diamondback, but that is a relative thing. They are also far less
>common than the Diamondbacks.

     <<SNIP>>

     While guiding a group of people many years ago, I heard the sound of a
rattler but could not determine the exact direction it was in as we were coming
down a slope in a narrow canyon and the sound was bouncing off the canyon
walls.  I slowly followed the sound, in the end looking down at my feet.
There, coiled beneath an overhanging rock, I saw a Mojave rattler that was
about 3" across in the middle and about 2" from my foot.  I knew it was a
Mojave from the greenish tint and pattern of the scales.

     Mojave rattlers are aggressive, and they have a habit of chasing people.
I first made sure that everyone was well away from me, then jumped about 8 feet
downhill.  It was the closest encounter I've ever had with any species of
rattlesnake.

     Also many years ago, I was sent some photos by a botanist at the
Boyce-Thompson Arboretum of a rattlesnake they had encountered and killed on
the grounds.  It took me a couple of weeks, but I finally identified it as a
Red Diamond Rattlesnake.  They later encountered a second one.  What they were
doing there I have no idea, as they are supposed to be found in far southern
California and northern Baja.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson