Re: [OM] File losses

Subject: Re: [OM] File losses
From: bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2015 22:17:40 +1300
Hi, Chuck wrote, in part

'' It would seem that you are responsible for your lost files. It appears that
you
deleted them during the large cleanup. You made two mistakes. 1) One of
the most important times to run a backup is just before you initiate a large
cleanup. You didn't do that. 2) Why would you run a disk cleaner on files you
had just erased? Possibly if it had some files with extremely sensitive
personal or financial data. But securely erasing image files??? Second
mistake. ''

Actually, that is not how it happened. I DID do a backup on a new HDD just
prior to deleting and erasing the files I wanted off this machine. The missing
image files had already vanished.
Each subdirectory corresponds to one card full. That is my main initial
archiving system.. One card = one subdirectory. So there would have been
maybe 500 - 700 images - 9 months photography?  I could check the dates
and calculate it exactly. Since I've had the E3, I have created 38
subdirectories. For the E1, I have around 80 subdirectories, but each is much
smaller than for the E3 because the cards in use were smaller.

About 6 years ago when I had the E510 I took quite a few shots. By the time I
gave it to my son last year, I noticed that many files had vanished including
my 70th birthday ski holiday shots with my son and his then fiancée.

I deleted directories and files using the Windows program Windows Explorer,
which I use for 90% of my file moving and naming operations. Then I
emptied the waste-basket. Then ran Eraser.

Next, Eraser has good controls and can scrub disks to varying degrees of
thoroughness. I instructed it to scrub ONLY vacant disk space. It probably did
just that.

I have just bought on-line a 1 TB hard-drive which will sit in a SATA docking
station beside my right foot, connected to a NewEgg printed circuit (
obtained, if my memory serves me OK, through the good offices of Chuck,
because I could not find any other manufacturer who made such a card,
AND they will not ship outside Canada and the USA.) which enables
high-speed SATA data transfer; although USB is also possible with this
docking station.
Next I will purchase ( OH; the ignominy of it) a copy of Novastore, which
claims to do back-up to an exterior drive, all the time

So, there I am. I have been pushed kicking and screaming into full-time
back-up. Time alone will tell how it goes. Rumour also has it that I might
even pay Avast to do my virus checking, after several ( read many) years'
free service.

Cheers, Brian

---