Re: [OM] File losses

Subject: Re: [OM] File losses
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2015 21:30:37 -0400
A Windows restore point is for Windows system files. It's to keep your system running if an update is buggy. It allows the system to be restored to a prior state. It has nothing to do with your owner created files like photos.

It would seem that you are responsible for your lost files. It appears that you deleted them during the large cleanup. You made two mistakes. 1) One of the most important times to run a backup is just before you initiate a large cleanup. You didn't do that. 2) Why would you run a disk cleaner on files you had just erased? Possibly if it had some files with extremely sensitive personal or financial data. But securely erasing image files??? Second mistake.

It sounds like you are poised for the third mistake. That would be getting rid of CHKDSK which is a Windows system file. The most common reason for CHKDSK to run at startup is when it appears that Windows may have crashed. If the system crashes while it is writing a file that file may well be corrupted. CHKDSK tries to find and fix such errors. First, there may well be no errors. Second, they may not be fixable if found. But they can't simply be ignored which is what would happen if you removed CHKDSK. Actually, I have no idea if the system would even boot if CHKDSK was not available when called upon. Maybe not. Leave it alone.

Chuck Norcutt