Re: [OM] CS5 Photoshop advice requested

Subject: Re: [OM] CS5 Photoshop advice requested
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 16:07:35 -0500
I just did try it again on CC. I made a square, painted 1/2 of it black and 1/2 of the remainder red. Into the white remainder square I cloned a black circle made at 100 pixel diameter, 100% brush hardness and "normal" cloning mode. I then did nothing except change the brush hardness to 25%. I then started a clone from the red area over the top of the black circle I had just created. I was surprised to see that the diameter of the brush cursor had been reduced by (perhaps) 10% or so. I could also see that there was overspray not only beyond the reduced diameter cursor but also (just barely perceptible) beyond the 100 pixel original black circle into the white area. I then repeatedly pressed the mouse button while holding in the same spot and watched the overspray grow to a larger and larger diameter well beyond the original 100 pixel black circle. Mysteriously, the cursor diameter was increasing slightly as well with each press of the mouse button.

If you can perform this test (I used red for the reduced hardness test to make the changes more visible) and not see the same thing then there has to be something else different. The clone tool supports many, many modes and I know not what most of them do. Make sure you are in "normal" mode for this test.

Chuck Norcutt