Re: [OM] Latest E-M5 II rumors

Subject: Re: [OM] Latest E-M5 II rumors
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 10:34:11 -0800
On 1/27/2015 6:13 AM, Frank wrote:
The E-M5 ii sensor is rumored to be the same as the E-M5/10s, a Sony one.
The E-M1 has a Panasonic one (of the GH4, is also a rumor I think).

Question is if the IBIS is the same, with the same precision, I think. They
claim improvements but it is not clear yet if these relate to the E-M5 or
E-M1. And if it is about software or hardware. If the hardware is
different, then forget about the upgrade. If it is only software, then
maybe the E-M1 will get it, unless there is a sensor difference which is
important but we are not aware of.

Whoever makes them, they make essentially identical images. In my recent FF vs. Fuji vs. µ4/3 comparison, I couldn't see a difference.

But there is a difference that may affect cost and/or firmware requirements. The E-M1 sensor includes the ability to do PD AF, while the M5 does not.

  And unless they fear for selling figures of the E-M1 mark II.

Oly's entire history with µ4/3 is one of at least one significant new feature in each new model, even if not blockbuster. That said, I agree that retrofitting super rez to the M1 would seem likely to reduce future M1 II sales.

A similar situation may be the EFC feature added to the M1 in a firmware update. It's also in the M10, which has the M5 sensor, so one might imagine that it would be possible to add to the M5 through firmware, but they have not.

Rumored Moose