Re: [OM] New Year's Day Images

Subject: Re: [OM] New Year's Day Images
From: ChrisB <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2015 18:48:47 +0000
> On 5 Jan 2015, at 17:19, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> I do remember.  Perhaps we should do it again . . .
>
> Will anyone remember for next year? ;-)

I’ll try.  It’s in my November ToDo.

>> I like the way those have come out, Moose.  Lichen II strikes me as
>> particularly nicely detailed and the Flare series is attractive too (n.b.
>> misspelling of suppress).
>
> Thanks!
>
> I wonder why the spell chucker didn't catch that. That's gotta be the most
> annoying, time consuming aspect of setting up an album on Zone-10, naming the
> images, which is the main reason I often don't bother. The other gallery I
> mostly use, Singapore, is also annoying if done through the web interface,
> but there is another way to do it all quickly and easily.

Some words lend themselves to a sneaky extra letter where it shouldn’t be.

>> Does Reclining have a strange colour and consistency to the image, or is it
>> my imagination?
>
> Yes. Just fooling around with the prior image, Upright, trying a different
> look.
>
>> Unsubs defeats me, and I have no better name for that well-captured pair of
>> lights.
>
> UnSub is US TV procedural show talk for Unknown Subject (i.e. unidentified
> suspect.) Whether our FBI and/or other agencies actually use it, I don't
> know. I used it as title for the simple reason that I have no idea who those
> people carefully hiding behind the flora might be.The woman was blatant in
> hiding, the man more subtle, but I'm sure any real world facial recognition
> program would be defeated, but on a TV show, it might work. :-)

Got it.  I was unsure if they were being surreptitious or if it was your
composition.

>> In attempting to answer your last question, I would guess that smart phones
>> assist the GPs with other inputs and don’t use the GPS aerials all the time.
>> Whereas cameras have no other sensors for positioning.  Sound plausible?
>
> Well ... We spend quite a lot of time out in the 'wilds' when traveling, and
> I often run a GPS track on my iPhone for hours where there is no cell
> service. Sure, it uses more battery than without the GPS track app, but not
> anything like what seems to happen with the cameras. I did get a little
> recharger battery pack to carry in the camera bag. I believe I've used it
> once on my phone, when I forgot to turn off the tracking; didn't really need
> to, but it was running low and I wanted to try the process. I've used it 2-3
> times on Carol's phone, not from GPS usage, just not remembering to keep it
> charged.

I have 2 supplementary batteries and one battery case.  I rarely have to use
them, but I do like the security of their being close.

> This is the third camera I've had with GPS. All have taken what seems to me a
> long time to find out where they are after being turned on, then run the
> battery down faster than seems right. This one has the option to leave GPS on
> when the camera is off and it just checks every so often to see if it has
> moved. If not for a long time, it turns off.
>
> This one pretends to have found itself more quickly than its predecessors,
> but then proceeds to record what appears to be garbage for another minute or
> so before getting it all straight. This was in part a test run, to see how
> all that stuff works. It is nice to have the location, without the additional
> fuss of adding it later from a track. But then, I do that ll the time for
> other cameras.
>
> The phone seems to know where it is all the time, geotagging its own photos,
> and the tracking app comes right up with a location in a couple of seconds.

There are ways to geotag photos from a camera with your phone, but it seems to
be way too much trouble.

Chris