Re: [OM] URGENT: User's advice on OMD M-10 needed

Subject: Re: [OM] URGENT: User's advice on OMD M-10 needed
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2014 21:50:22 -0800
On 12/6/2014 5:44 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
My interest in the E-M1 was based on higher resolution EVF, huge grip (which I like and emulate with an aftermarket grip on the E-M5) and especially those rejiggered buttons.

I have always used my Canon 5D with focus separated from the shutter button and placed on the AE/FE lock button because it's easily operated with the thumb while the forefinger handles the shutter.

You can move the focus on the E-M5 but there's no eligible button easily reachable by the thumb.

I've tried, but never really cottoned to that approach. I have shutter and focus together and MF/AF on Fn2. Mostly, I just want to push the shutter button to focus, AE and shoot. I very often half press to focus, reframe and press the rest of the way. Particularly true when I'm not sure of the DoF, and want to bracket focus quickly

When I want focus fixed, I let AF set it, then press Fn2, and it stays there until I fine tune it or switch back to AF. If I really want to fine tune, I have magnify on Fn1

The playback button is roughly in the right spot but can't be easily pressed by the thumb in shooting position due to being blocked by the view screen.

My slightly different thumb can reach it, but I don't choose to go that way.

The available buttons forced me to choose the Fn2 button adjacent to the shutter button. That's a non-optimal solution since one must use the index finger for both focus and shutter. It works fine for unhurried shooting but trying to shoot the grandkid's fast moving sports sometimes means missed shots moving from focus button to shooting.

I'm not sure I understand the point of separated AF and shutter for that
situation. Not my style. :-)

Different Fingering Moose