Re: [OM] URGENT: User's advice on OMD M-10 needed

Subject: Re: [OM] URGENT: User's advice on OMD M-10 needed
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2014 13:41:56 -0800
On 12/6/2014 6:16 AM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
Listen to the Moose as regards camera and lenses. I too have never seen an E-M10 and have paid it little attention since my attention is more to an E-M1. (but after reading Moose's comments about EVF and shutter maybe I should pay it more attention)

Other than the ergonomics of the (relatively) huge grip, which seems retrogressive to me, and rejiggered buttons, I can't see why someone who doesn't have any old 4/3 lenses would want an E-M1.

That Oly chose to fully accommodate all those with stables of 4/3 lenses is certainly admirable. DPReview's tests suggest that the effort is pretty successful, but not without limitations and not as good as native µ4/3 lenses. Follow focus does appear to be improved. <http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympus-om-d-e-m1/8> And it adds a larger, higher rez EVF, but I am notoriously unfussy about viewfinders.

I personally can't see any point in paying the cost in $$, size and weight for a camera that doesn't do anything important to me any better than the ones I have.

For now, I'm semi-excited at the prospect of an E-M5II, with WiFi and the other bits of goodies introduced in the E-M1, E-P5 and E-M10. I'm also a little worried that they will up the sensor MP too much and in the process lose their IQ edge.

As to the E-M10 features you mention:

Shutter shock was already less of an issue, and further addressed in a firmware update. <http://www.dpreview.com/articles/6457836810/olympus-om-d-e-m10-and-e-m1-get-firmware-updates>

The EVF is the same rez as the E-M5, not the larger on of the M1, while the LCD
 is higher rez:

"- the rear screen is a noticeable improvement, as is the inclusion of the 'Adaptive Brightness' viewfinder technology first introduced in the E-M1. This brightens and darkens the viewfinder panel, based on the ambient lighting conditions. As a result, the viewfinder ends up being bright in bright light without then being blinding in low light. It's a little thing (to the point that you don't necessarily notice it happening), but it helps provide a more OVF-like experience."

Good, Bad Moose