[OM] Oh my sainted aunt! [was Windows users - y'all had better read this

Subject: [OM] Oh my sainted aunt! [was Windows users - y'all had better read this - Chris and Chuck]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2014 13:36:31 -0800
On 11/13/2014 9:46 PM, ChrisB wrote:
Oh my sainted aunt!

Mostly I just like the phrase If I have to pick, I'll pick my great aunt Etta.

I had no idea my post would kick up such a firestorm. Not that I mind. ;-)

But it got all serious! :-)

It was supposed to be a little funny bit, a take-off on McLuhan's famous dictum.

As to the grammar, Chris is quite correct:

"And if the quote had been in inverted commas the tense could have been the present – as you point out. But since Moose wrote it as reported speech, i.e. without quotes, the tenses should have matched."

As he didn't actually say what I tongue-in-cheek attributed to him, I choose to eschew quotation marks (Inverted commas, it appears, in Brit speak.)

Had I used ironic quotations marks, everyone would have known it was a joke, which would take all the fun out of an obscure reference funny.

That no one apparently got the joke, and the thread spun off into grammar, is a shame, as his thoughts on media are worth thinking about.

Miss Quoting Moose