Re: [OM] Windows users - y'all had better read this - Piers

Subject: Re: [OM] Windows users - y'all had better read this - Piers
From: "philippe.amard" <philippe.amard@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2014 07:11:17 +0100
Thanks for your attempt at clarifying for me Piers.

I suspect I trod onto dangerous territory as regards the thread content :-( but I was curious to know -linguistically- why the present perfect, which might match the present tense (is) in the second clause, had not been used.

I was just trying to check my own command of the language(s) and I thought the use of the preterit aka simple past "did" was unnecessary. This unless one intended to report on some event in a series they witnessed in common, or wanted to stress the fact that the speaker (McLuhan here) is now actually dead.

Did vs Has V-EN? My questionning remains open :-)

Early morning renewed thanks

Amities
Philippe