Re: [OM] Windows users - y'all had better read this - Chris and Chuck

Subject: Re: [OM] Windows users - y'all had better read this - Chris and Chuck
From: "philippe.amard" <philippe.amard@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2014 20:40:35 +0100
Hasn't McLuhan said the mangle is the message?

Why 'did' BTW?

Philippe

Le 13 nov. 14 à 20:26, ChrisB a écrit :

Oh well, never mind :-)

Chris

On 13 Nov 2014, at 19:20, Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx > wrote:

No, not at all.

Chuck Norcutt

On 11/13/2014 10:20 AM, ChrisB wrote:
Chuck

I agree that adding the word wouldn't change the tense.  And if the
quote had been in inverted commas the tense could have been the
present – as you point out.  But since Moose wrote it as reported
speech, i.e. without quotes, the tenses should have matched.

Another example might be, “President Obama told the meeting that he
admired the troops fighting for their freedom”, which is similar to
“President Obama told the meeting, 'I admire the troops fighting for
their freedom’ ”.

Do you see the distinction that I’m making?

Chris

On 13 Nov 14, at 14:48, Chuck Norcutt