Re: [OM] Americans beat Belgian brewers in Brussels (but Brits win best

Subject: Re: [OM] Americans beat Belgian brewers in Brussels (but Brits win best beer)
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2014 13:16:31 -0800
On 11/3/2014 12:15 PM, Nathan Wajsman wrote:
Yes, that sort of discredits the whole competition.

Such competitions are inherently flawed (as are photography contests). No matter what the expertise of the judges, their taste will not reflect that of many/most people who buy beer.

Looking at the US beers, the list would be of no help to me. We live in Anderson Valley Brewing Company territory. I've had their beers many times, including at the brewery. To my taste, their gold medal winning Amber Ale is just ordinary. Better is available in the area from other local breweries.

Coffee flavored beer? Chocolate? Smoked? To give such specialty (and generally awful) beers medals apparently equal to those of regular beers is silly.

Lagunitas Brewing is another local brewery. I buy and drink some of their beer regularly. But the silver winning Czech-Style PILS? Can't touch the original Urquell from Pilzn and I prefer Trummer Pils too (Brewed in Salzburg and Berkeley)

Where are beers like Pliny the Elder, an amazing double IPA, which wins all sorts of awards and is held in almost religious awe by most serious US beer people? People make pilgrimages to get Pliny the Younger, "Pub draft only, VERY limited distribution locally and to distributors on draft only, seasonal- released at our pub the first Friday of February and is available for just 2 weeks, available at select accounts during February."

It's all fun, lets industry people get together, is good for marketing, but may
not mean much to the everyday beer drinker.

How about a "Beer I'd most like to be stuck on a desert island with for years"
contest? I know my answer. :-)

Pure Beer Moose