Re: [OM] IMG: Fall style

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Fall style
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2014 15:02:54 -0600
Paul de Bundles Braun wrote:
> I see people like that all the time - mostly jock-types.  Middle of
> January, 20 below. Wearing a heavy coat, basketball shorts, athletic shoes
> or sandals with no socks. Or, worse, wearing a t-shirt, basketball shorts,
> and shoes with no socks. I don't get it. Either their metabolism is
cranked
> all the way up to "furnace" or they're trying to prove to us just how
macho
> and tough they are.

Oops, you just described me. :)

If I'm heading out for a walk or run, I'll wear shorts down to the high
'30s (F). Might throw some tights on if the wind is blowing or it's damp.
If I'm actually doing a long run and not just a walk, I'll wear running
shorts which are even thinner and shorter. When running, I generate enough
heat that the legs rarely get cold. However, I always wear something
heavier up top, usually a hoodie of anorak or some form. If I'm walking and
it's really cold or damp, I'll put on wind pants over the tights. Depending
on which tights they are and how well sealed up the wind pants are at the
ankles, that will keep me warm down way below freezing. I've gone down to
-15F with that combination and stayed plenty warm as long as I kept moving.
Stand still for two minutes and you turn into an icicle.

I don't get basketball shorts. They look like ladies culottes from the late
'70s and early '80s which "Good Baptists" used to wear in order to pretent
to be "modest" while gagging out the rest of the population. And they're
getting longer and longer. Might as well just wear regular pants. Worse
ones I've seen are about four inches above the foot. HUH? We called those
things "Floods".

The shoes and socks thing is a little misleading, though. Most of us wear
socks that aren't visible above the shoe. I do that because my wrists and
ankles will swell up or become overly sensitive if there is something on
them. Also, we do that to prevent unsightly tan lines. But no socks isn't
usually done because it causes the shoes to smell really really bad.
However, many of your purpose-built running shoes are designed for
ultra-thin socklets or no socks and have moisture wicking properties to
them which moves all the moisture away from the foot to the outside of the
shoe where it evaperates without being absorbed in the threads of the shoe
fabric itself. I've started buying some of the new socks designed for this,
and they really make a huge difference and my feet stay dryer with no wierd
rubs. Best part is that these new socks come in all sorts of bright colors
and patterns that we guys normally wouldn't want to reveal that we're
wearing. :)  My favorites are in purples and pinks, but I don't live in the
south...

AG