Re: [OM] IMG: Sunrise, Moonset

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Sunrise, Moonset
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2014 19:38:43 -0400
Thanks, Piers. You caused me to go back and reread Mike's last message. I have to agree now that he means binary when he says digital after reading: "My reference to digital/analogue was referring not to technology but to the way of thinking. Hyperfocal is a digital concept. Inside the arbitrarily marked zone is ON, outside is OFF. Look through the viewfinder and turn the focusing ring and what you see is analogue."

But I think what he doesn't understand is that the marked zone is definitely not arbitrary. It's arbitrary from his standpoint since he wants to use his image for something other than a deliberately composed and focused landscape. But the hyperfocal method is designed exactly for deliberately composed and focused landscapes. If you want to make an arbitrary crop of some arbitrary piece of the image you're doing a different type of photography. Don't demean hyperfocal methods if they don't pertain to your method of photography. I use it when it suits the image I want to produce but not when it's inappropriate.

Chuck Norcutt