[OM] Recommended USB 3.0 multi-card reader

Subject: [OM] Recommended USB 3.0 multi-card reader
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2014 18:25:34 -0400
I recently bought this Transcend USB 3.0 multi-card reader below. So far I've only used it once but was surprised to see it clocking 30-38 MB/second reading a 30 MB/second rated SanDisk 16GB SD card. I bought it because it handles all types of cards include CF cards. It handles CF cards as it should with a deep socket and guides that keep the CF card properly aligned so pins don't get bent. Using USB 2.0 attached to the camera or using a cheap USB 2.0 reader I'd only get about 9-10 MB/second. $14.95 from Amazon prime.

<http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0056TYRMW/ref=sr_ph?ie=UTF8&qid=1411682888&sr=1&keywords=transcend+usb+3.0+reader>

I also bought this much smaller one which only does SD and micro SD.
<http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-Information-Card-Reader-TS-RDF5K/dp/B009D79VH4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1411682888&sr=8-2&keywords=transcend+usb+3.0+reader>
I haven't used it yet but it's the same brand and also USB 3.0 so I think it should be just as quick. It's also pretty cheap at $6.99 from Amazon Prime.

If you have an older machine without USB 3.0 you can add an adapter card cheaply if you've got an empty slot. I used to use eSATA for backups to a BlackX drive dock. I've replaced the BlackX drive dock with an Ineo USB 3.0 drive dock. It's just as fast as the eSATA dock or perhaps a bit faster. The Ineo drive dock was cheap. About $18 from Newegg IIRC.

Chuck Norcutt