Re: [OM] Recommended USB 3.0 multi-card reader

Subject: Re: [OM] Recommended USB 3.0 multi-card reader
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2014 20:25:06 -0700
On 9/25/2014 3:25 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
I recently bought this Transcend USB 3.0 multi-card reader below. So far I've only used it once but was surprised to see it clocking 30-38 MB/second reading a 30 MB/second rated SanDisk 16GB SD card. I bought it because it handles all types of cards include CF cards. It handles CF cards as it should with a deep socket and guides that keep the CF card properly aligned so pins don't get bent. Using USB 2.0 attached to the camera or using a cheap USB 2.0 reader I'd only get about 9-10 MB/second. $14.95 from Amazon prime.

<http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0056TYRMW/ref=sr_ph?ie=UTF8&qid=1411682888&sr=1&keywords=transcend+usb+3.0+reader>

Interesting ... I just had one land here a couple of days ago. My first use, downloading images from a fast SD card with PIE, was strange, with long (seeming) pauses. Not like the smaller one. Haven't looked into it as yet.

I also bought this much smaller one which only does SD and micro SD.
<http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-Information-Card-Reader-TS-RDF5K/dp/B009D79VH4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1411682888&sr=8-2&keywords=transcend+usb+3.0+reader> I haven't used it yet but it's the same brand and also USB 3.0 so I think it should be just as quick. It's also pretty cheap at $6.99 from Amazon Prime.

I've had one of these since about the first of March. I put a combo thingie in this machine when I built it, multi card reader, 4xUSB 2.0, 2xUSB 3.0 and one eSATA. The card reader part started dropping out every few days, then more often. Unplugging that cable from the MB would restore function, but only for a while, no matter which MB header I used.

I picked up this little reader to keep images moving. It's so much faster than the built-in one that I've been using only it for SDxx cards. However, I do use other cards occasionally, so I picked up the larger one just now.

The built-in one has now worked continuously (little blue light on) since I
ordered its replacement. :-)

If you have an older machine without USB 3.0 you can add an adapter card cheaply if you've got an empty slot. I used to use eSATA for backups to a BlackX drive dock. I've replaced the BlackX drive dock with an Ineo USB 3.0 drive dock. It's just as fast as the eSATA dock or perhaps a bit faster. The Ineo drive dock was cheap. About $18 from Newegg IIRC.

Any particular reason for the replacement? My BlackX has never faltered.

Speedy Transfers Moose