Re: [OM] Old 75-150 or 60-120mm on m43?

Subject: Re: [OM] Old 75-150 or 60-120mm on m43?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2014 07:58:15 -0400
Don't forget the Kiron 70-150/4 one of my all-time favorite lenses. That along with the Zuiko 35-70/3.5-4.5 were my walk-around pair before finally converting to digital 99%. There are a couple of Minolta MD and Canon FD mount versions on ebay either of which are easily adaptable to m4/3. There is also a similar, Vivitar 70-150/3.8 two touch in OM mount (made by Kino Precision [Kiron] as indicated by the serial number which begins with "22"). Also a Pentax mount Vivitar 70-150/3.8 (Kino). I don't know the performance of the Vivitar versions (and doubt that they're really 3.8) but the optics are probably very similar. Kiron's own 70-150/4 was produced after the Vivitar versions.

Anyhow, your request reminded me that I'd never tried the Kiron 70-150 on my E-M5 so I tried it yesterday... just a quick low light shot in the house. It's not for sale... at least at the price the ebay sellers are asking. The Vivitars might be inexpensive choices but the Vivitar 2-touch will be quite a bit heavier than the Kiron. If you're really interested I think I'd go for one of the Kiron Minolta MD mount versions for a simpler adapter, less weight and known optics. Just be sure the one touch Kiron has a snappy diaphragm and no zoom creep. Mine is excellent on both counts but I do have some other Kiron lenses (I have about 20 of them) that exhibit one or both bad traits.

If you'd like to see some specific type of test images send me private mail.

Chuck Norcutt