Re: [OM] It never rains but it pours ( sometimes)

Subject: Re: [OM] It never rains but it pours ( sometimes)
From: Jez Cunningham <jez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2014 13:40:07 +0100
Hi,

They first asked me at the Emergency Department check-in / triage desk for
my home address and the name of the doctor I was registered with. When they
couldn't find me on their system they asked for my NHS number - mine was
issued when I was born and they've allocated new 10-digit numbers during
the period I was out of the UK so that rang some alarm bell.  So (off-line)
they poked deeper. Meanwhile they treated me fine, I was seen very quickly
and I was only in for one night.

It's based on residency and you need to prove you're 'lawfully resident'
here such as a council tax statement (showing full payment not reduced due
to empty!).  I didn't have an EHIC card either (believing that I wouldn't
need it in the UK "because I'm British!").  Within a month of my treatment
they started to chase me to get the costs back from me or from the foreign
government.

"I am writing with regard to your recent visit to the A & E Department at
this hospital. Under EU regulations to access free health care whilst in
the UK we are required to take a copy of your European Health Insurance
Card (a sample of which is attached) or if you do not have one a copy of
your Provisional Replacement Certificate.

Unfortunately a copy of neither of these was available at the time you
attended and I would therefore ask if you could be so kind as to return
this letter to me enclosing a photocopy of both sides of your card or the
PRC as soon as possible,

Failure to provide details of either of the above will result in an invoice
being issued in respect of all treatments received whilst in this hospital."

They've become pretty hot on it and it took over 6 months (3 months after
we'd actually moved into the house here) before they closed the case. (In
the end they agreed I was exempted due to being on a house-hunting visit in
order to return, when the incident happened.)

"Regulation 8(2)(e) – Taking up permanent residence

3.42 A person present in the UK (and other designated places specified in
the Charging

Regulations) for the purpose of taking up permanent residence is exempt
from charges.

This will include former residents with a right of abode who return to the
UK to resume

their permanent residence."

This might clarify:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-on-overseas-visitors-hospital-charging-regulations
and specifically:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/346908/Appendix_6.pdf

I see mentions of Switzerland as part of the EEA being quite well covered...

good luck,
Jez