Re: [OM] How to photograph the eye

Subject: Re: [OM] How to photograph the eye
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2014 08:55:42 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>In my opinion, the fact that at least some
>of the little lights which have been shown in this discussion are to the
>sides and angled across the subject probably means that much better 3D
>visual modeling will be delivered than most other lighting systems.
>
>As I have observed, ring-flash systems deliver great light if you want a
>coldly scientific result, but if you want an image which looks great,
>and which picks out surface relief and models such things as the veins
>on flower petals, side-lighting is what is needed. It crossed my mind
>that if the two lights are of different strengths, this benefit would be
>enhanced.
>
>Front-on ring flash is the absolute pits for such photography.

     You're quite right in all regards here.  The ring flash is very useful
when I'm photographing details of electronic assemblies, but it does deprive
you of the texture features of flowers, as you've stated.  In many cases I've
found using a "soft" reflector like a t-shirt to be adequate, but there is
always the situation where a very low power fill flash is needed, which is why
I have a keen interest in this item.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson