Re: [OM] Attn: Grammar Police

Subject: Re: [OM] Attn: Grammar Police
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2014 06:16:29 +0100
I suppose because we normally qualify objects like that, with size coming
first.  If you have a convention like that it's easier to emphasise an
extraordinary situation by changing the order.

But I have no problem with analysing such conventions, but the article was
simplistic in the way many such articles turn out.  It reminded me of US news
programmes.  At a certain stage in the programme they have to have their
light-hearted news story, so one news reader turns to the other and says
something like, "I bet if I said 'brown big dog' to you, Jim, you would be a
little surprised, because you see . . ." and the other would express humorous
surprise and turn to the camera with some witty quip with which to end the
programme.

A similar technique is used at the end of pretty well any weekly programme in
the mould of "Murder she wrote.": it has to end with a joke with the whole cast
smiling.  It's ghastly, and the idea is catching on Over Here :-(

Chris