Re: [OM] Dr. Flash learns a thing or two... on auto flash

Subject: Re: [OM] Dr. Flash learns a thing or two... on auto flash
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2014 23:03:54 -0400
I don't know how you remember what I said 5 years ago. I can't remember what I said 5 days ago.

As to the T32 and ND filter didn't we show just a few days ago that that should work... at least down to the point the lens was getting in the way of the flash?

If you read the link I posted the other day on auto mode fill flash from Ken Rockwell you'll see that he's firmly in the Nikonian camp for all forms of flash and that he also says that Canon has never really figured it out. I've never owned a Nikon or Nikon flash but I think her's right on about Canon and flash.

And, yes, I do remember that Will Crockett always championed auto mode flash over TTL... up to a distance of about 6 feet. I suspect that's to stay within the field of view of a 20 degree (or thereabouts) sensor

Chuck Norcutt

Chuck just had to rouse Dr. Flash out of his Summer estivation.  I
recall several posts including the one below regarding using
auto mode for fill--see post below for example.  The Canyon ETTL had
been particularly lousy for fill--perhaps slightly improved when lenses
began to report focusing distance. The preflash metering just always cut
it in that situation per Dr. Flash.

http://lists.tako.de/Olympus-OM/2009-06/msg01348.html

Nykonians seem to have had fewer complaints.  The Metz in that review
(the link no longer works and may be gone) was the cat's
meow for daylight fill in auto mode at intermediate distances. Quantum,
IIRC, out EETL2'd  Canyon at their own game   for full flash somehow.
I can lie to my Metz flash about the ISO (as long as I use the standard
(not Canyon) foot and it will alter output unlike the T32 where  the ISO
thingie
is really just an equivalent exposure sliderule and the auto modes are
fixed.

On another note I recalll John commenting that the electronics in the
T-power controller for  OM macro flash and T32 are similar--making it
likely that ND
filters may allow for proper  close focus  flash quenching in auto mode
with all the caveats of trusting  the fov of the auto sensor for macro.

Student of Dr. Flash,  Mike