Re: [OM] Dr. Flash learns a thing or two... on auto flash

Subject: Re: [OM] Dr. Flash learns a thing or two... on auto flash
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2014 17:58:59 -0400
Correct. In flash parlance "auto" means exposure control by the flash using its own sensor, not TTL which (as you have guessed) is called TTL.

What was said is you can do fill flash with an auto flash unit by first setting the ambient light exposure on the camera. Let's say it's ISO 100 at f/11. You then transfer the same ISO as used on the camera to the flash unit and set the aperture on the flash at a one stop wider aperture than is set on the camera. In this case you'd set the flash at ISO 100 and f/8. Because the flash thinks the camera is set at f/8 rather than the actual f/11 it thinks the camera is more sensitive to light than it actually is and delivers only half of the light that would be otherwise be required. Other values may be used but a 1 stop differential between ambient and flash is typical for fill flash in full sun.

The other key point is that not all auto flash units have suitable settings to be used for 1 stop under fill flash. The T32 and T45 have three auto ranges which are one stop apart so you have a good chance of finding a suitable setting. Most of the other flash units I have here (except for the potato masher Sunpak 522) all have 2 or 3 auto range settings but they are all 2 stops apart. If you use 2 stops you may have to do some more shadow fill in PhotoShop. But you're also less likely to blow some highlights that get hit by both ambient and fill light.

Chuck Norcutt