Re: [OM] Dr. Flash learns a thing or two... on auto flash

Subject: Re: [OM] Dr. Flash learns a thing or two... on auto flash
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2014 15:37:49 -0500
>> Not sure I'm following your line of thought,
> Didn't read it all. I'll wait for the finished version. :-)

Yes. Sometimes the "logic bananas" need time to ripen.

Speaking of logic... I got a total kick out of the Luminous Landscape
review of the new Pentax 645Z. They trash talked it because it was
built better and was just as good as the $50,000 cameras, but because
of the low cost, was competing against the high-end DSLRs. Why, they
even stated how good 16MP is, so the 645, with gobzillions of pixels
isn't necessary. But they still justified the $50,000 camera because
it's so hard to use that it forces them to make better pictures.
Huh???

Sorry, thread hijacking...

> It's been a loooong time. I recall being regularly impressed at the ability
> of OM-2n with T32 on TTL Auto to balance fill flash.

Not really. The OTF auto-flash that Olympus implemented in the OM
system tended to run just a bit hot and really was a good full stop
too bright.

> But I'm guessing this may be about the flash based sensor, not TTL??

It is now.

As to Chuck's thought line about auto camera and auto flash working
together, it actually does work, but you've got to be very careful
which heading outdoors from inside because your ISO is going to be
quite different between inside and out.. It works because no DSLR does
mid-exposure light measurement. By the time the first curtain opens,
the shutter speed and aperture are baked in. This means that the flash
can do its thing without fooling the camera.

AG (Bright Spot) Schnozz