Re: [OM] Dr. Flash learns a thing or two... on auto flash

Subject: Re: [OM] Dr. Flash learns a thing or two... on auto flash
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2014 13:07:07 -0400
That's basically what I've been doing but I was thinking (erroneously) in terms of ISO rather than aperture. It works the same as long as it's within the limits imposed by the flash.

All of my training in use of flash has been to use manual mode only with the use of a good incident flash meter. Auto mode and TTL were to be ignored as inaccurate. Manual works very well until you get into covering some sort of event with lots of people moving quickly in and out of sun and shadow. It's only in the last 2 years that I decided to try using fill flash in auto mode and I think I've used it exactly twice. I never found any instructions on how to do it but figured it out and tried it with good success as long as I stayed about 2 stops down rather than 1. Being only one stop down seemed to have some moderately high risk of blown highlights. Being 2 stops down solved the blown highlights problem at the expense of have to do more shadow adjustments in PhotoShop. But having to brighten shadows by only 1 stop or so prevented the noise one gets by trying to bring up a shadow that's nearly black.

While looking for instructions on the use of auto mode for fill flash (pretty rare) I encountered something I'd never seen before. The suggestion was to expose for the highlights when measuring the ambient exposure. I've never tried it yet (too rainy the last couple of days) but suspect that will pretty much eliminate blown highlights in the flash exposure at 1 stop down. But I'm not sure what the background ambient exposure will look like. Too often I see fill flash shots with backgrounds that look unrealistically dark for a sunlit scene.

Something I haven't tried yet is to use aperture priority with auto mode flash. I hope that will adjust the ambient exposure between sun and clouds but I'll have to keep a close watch on the shutter speed.

I've been waiting for some sun amidst the rain and clouds. I think the too low exposure values I was getting in my testing were due to the flash being fooled by a too bright background. I really needed to be outside to test daylight fill flash but haven't been able to get there.

Chuck Norcutt