Re: [OM] Heads up for travellers to Europe: charge your thingies

Subject: Re: [OM] Heads up for travellers to Europe: charge your thingies
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2014 13:48:56 -0700
On 7/15/2014 7:12 AM, Ken Norton wrote:
Funny enough, I was NOT asked to turn on my iPad, computer or iPod.
iOS is too limited and the devices are too expensive. Everybody knows
that Android is debomb.

Everyone but that darned Moose.

I had iPhone, Carol's iPad3 and Android tablet. Neither environment is perfect. I wanted to find Android a better mousetrap ...

I had trouble finding reliable, cleanly designed and operating apps for several things on Android, iPhone was better. Tablet died*. I now have an iPad Mini2, and use it pretty extensively.

Intercommunication between apps, clouds, messages, etc. are more complex than I can believe is necessary. Overall, I find the environment better and the apps more finished than what I could find on Android last year.

You might be amazed at some of the high quality, high powered apps for iThingies. My son does a great deal of the work for his thriving graphic arts business on iPhone and iPad, including vector graphics.

The tendency of Android makers to leave individual models stuck with aging versions of the OS that can't be updated is just crap. The variations in hardware quality and OS support make iDevices and iOS seem like a haven of simplicity, quality and reliability.

Our traveling family reunion a couple of weeks ago involved six elders, 13 younger adults and 13 grandkids. All but one rogue adult and the littlest kids have iThingies. iMessage and general comm integration was great.

I have no doubt that careful choice of devices and vendors, time spent on finding decent apps and customization may lead to a great Android experience, but the up front investment of time seems to me excessive.

I've never been an Apple fanboy. I had an Apple II, but was unseduced by Macs. You've certainly seen how brand agnostic I can be, choosing based on function. I think that at the moment, the iThingie environment is the best combination of factors for folks like me.

As for Steve J's annoying antipathy toward external storage, relatively mature Bluetooth external storage has become available.

Reluctant iMoose

* First of many refurb thingies of various sorts that I've had to expire shortly after the 90 day warranty expired. I felt cheated, but relieved.