[OM] Heads up for travellers to Europe: charge your thingies

Subject: [OM] Heads up for travellers to Europe: charge your thingies
From: Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2014 14:35:21 +0200
As you may know, last week the US asked European airports with direct flights
to the US to put in place additional security precautions in light of a
terrorist threat that has been picked up. The focus seems to be on electronic
devices, and supposedly at some airport if your device will not turn on
(because the battery is dead, for example), then it will not travel.

Different airport have implemented different things. I passed through Rome and
Munich last week, both of which have flights to the US. In Rome, they simply
had a separate security screening for passengers to the US. Since I was flying
to Munich, this did not apply to me, and the screening for me was normal. But
when flying home from Munich yesterday, I was asked to turn on my camera and
take a picture with it, and the agent also looked through each of my lenses.
Not a big deal, since I keep my cameras charged so I can take pictures, but
just a note of caution.

Funny enough, I was NOT asked to turn on my iPad, computer or iPod.

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman
Alicante, Spain