Re: [OM] Heads up for travellers to Europe: charge your thingies

Subject: Re: [OM] Heads up for travellers to Europe: charge your thingies
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2014 09:23:50 -0500
> Unfortunately, no NFC capability in iThings...

It's the "little things" that make a huge difference for me. Probably
the biggest "little thing" is the on-screen keyboard that contains
BOTH the numbers and letters. Passwords, ip addresses, hex codes,
etc., are a disaster to type in using the iThingies.

Another "little thing" is "Swype" style input. Or how about the
ability to actually select a point within a word for spelling
correction.

Now, granted, the Note 3 is the Lance Armstrong of Android phones
(steroids), but it's got some features that are trickling down to
other phones and devices. The coolest feature of the Note is the
stylus. I use it with the ability to write right on the screen and it
does the conversion to text. Similar to how the Palm Pilots and phones
worked, but a bit better as you don't have to write in the faux text,
but can write in a normal manner. As horrid as my writing is, the
phone is brilliant at decyphering it.

What I very much dislike about Android is also the strength of
Android. And that's the ability of apps to interact with each other.
You've got to be very careful about the apps you use because some of
them are all about data mining. An example is that one particular
flashlight app that data mines your contact database and email. Apple
prevents most of those types of apps from getting into your devices,
but Android is the wild wild west. I exclusively use the Google Play
Store, as it keeps most of the garbage out of there, but there are
enough that get through to scare you.

The fact is, these are all temporary until the NBT (next big thing)
comes along. I don't know about you guys, but I've got old computer
parts, personal information managers and cell phones in boxes and
drawers all over the house. It wasn't very long ago that Palm ruled
the universe. Then Blackberry. I have no doubts that Apple and Google
will be more burned out and rusted hulks along the technology highway.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx